Most beverage containers, made from aluminium, glass, plastic, steel and liquid paperboard, between 150ml and 3L are eligible for a 10c refund when returned to a TOMRA Recycling Centre. A full list of eligible containers and their requirements can be found here.
Do not crush your containers or remove the labels as the scanners will need to identify the shape, label and barcode to register your refund. After a period of transition, all eligible drink containers will have to display a refund marking that will make it easy to see which containers can be returned.
This program targets containers that are likely to be consumed outside of the house.
A number of drink containers are not eligible for a refund under the scheme. These include:
· Plain milk containers
· Glass containers which have contained wine or pure spirits
· Large containers (1L or more) which have contained flavoured milk, pure juice, cask wine or cask water
· Cordial or vegetable juice containers
· Sachets above 250ml which have contained wine
· Registered health tonics.
Containers that are smaller than 150mL or bigger than 3L will not be eligible for a refund. The ineligible containers will still be able to be recycled through your local kerbside bins.