Frequently Asked Questions – WA

    Check out our Frequently Asked Questions – detailing everything from what’s eligible to how to get in touch with us.

    Contact Details


    General Enquiries

    Donation Partner Enquiries

    1300 67 00 44


    Container Eligibility

    What containers are eligible for a refund?

    As part of the scheme, you can receive a refund for most aluminium, glass, plastic, steel and liquid paperboard beverage containers between 150ml and 3L. Learn more here.

    The container refund scheme aims to reduce the amount of beverage container litter in the environment. Eligible containers are most commonly consumed away from home and make up most container litter in the environment.

    What containers are ineligible for a refund?

    Excluded containers are commonly consumed in the home and can still be recycled either through existing kerbside collection or drop-off services. This includes:

    Any beverage container less than 150ml or more than 3L.

    Any size or material type of containers for:

    • Undiluted cordial
    • Fruit or vegetable juice concentrate
    • Registered health tonics
    • Plain milk

    Glass containers of any size for:

    • Wine
    • Pure spirits

    Containers over 1 litre in size for:

    • Flavoured milk
    • Pure fruit juice
    • Pure vegetable juice
    • Cask water
    • Cask wine
    • Wine sachets of more than 250ml or less than 150ml
    What condition do containers have to be in?
    • Containers must be empty.
    • You don’t have to rinse each container, but it will help you store them cleanly before returning them.
    • Caps and lids need to be removed from bottles.
    • Keep the label on and don’t crush your container, so it can be accepted by a Reverse Vending Machine.
    Do I need to remove the lids from my containers?

    Lids must be removed from the container before feeding them in to the reverse vending machines. The lids of your containers are made from a different material to the container itself so need to be recycled separately. Please bring your lids (metal and plastic) in a separate bag to recycle at the centre.

    Can a container refund point refuse to take my containers?

    There are several reasons why a container refund point operator may refuse to accept your containers:

    • They are contaminated (i.e. contain sand, dirt, paint, petrol, noxious substances etc.)
    • The container is not recognisable as an eligible container (i.e. crushed beyond recognition or broken in the case of glass).
    • The container is not eligible under the scheme.
    • The container refund point operator has reason to believe the container has been purchased interstate.
    • The container refund point operator has reason to believe the container has already been redeemed or has been deposited from any kerbside recycling operator.
    • If a person refuses to complete a declaration when asked to do so by the container refund point.

    Returning your containers

    Where can I return my containers?

    You can return your containers at your local TOMRA Recycling Centre, located at any of the addresses below:

    How can I return my containers

    You can return your containers through our Reverse Vending Machines (RVMs). TOMRA Reverse Vending Machines allow you to return your containers quickly and get your refund right away. Ideal for any quantity of containers and for any recycler looking to claim their refund quickly and easily.

    What is a Reverse Vending Machine and how do I use it?

    A Reverse Vending Machine, or RVM, is a self-serve high-speed recycling machine, counting up to 100 containers a minute. They are super easy to use and great for all of the family to get involved. You only need to separate your glass containers from the rest and the machines do the rest of the sorting for you, saving you time at home!

    Our Recycling Centres include up to 12 machines meaning up to 12 customers can return their containers at once. Simply insert your empty containers into the chute at the front of the machine and the containers will be scanned in a fraction of a second to ensure they are eligible for a refund. When you’ve finished depositing all your containers, you can choose you preferred payment method: Retail cash voucher, EFT through the Containers for Change Scheme ID or donation to a charity partner featured on each machine

    What happens to containers once they are returned?

    Containers deposited at a container refund point will be sorted by material type and prepared for collection and transportation to a processing centre, where the materials are tightly compacted and prepared for recycling. Containers are then sold via an online auction platform into domestic and export markets to an approved recycler where the material is recycled into new materials or back into beverage containers.

    Claiming your refund

    How can I claim my refund?

    You can receive your refund in 3 ways:

    • Through a retail cash voucher, which can be redeemed for cash or used for your shopping at Woolworths or Coles.
    • Direct to your bank account via the Containers for Change Scheme ID
    • Donated directly to a charity or community organization listed on the Reverse Vending Machine. 100% of the money you donate will go to the charity you choose.
    How can I get a cash voucher?

    Simply return your containers at a Reverse Vending Machine and select the “Voucher” option at the end of your session. You will receive a voucher that you can exchange for cash at Woolworths or Coles.

    How can I donate to charity, community groups, schools, and/or not-for-profits?

    You can scan the Containers For Change Scheme ID barcode for any charity, community group, NFP, or school so your refund will go directly to their nominated bank account. You can search for any charity registered for support here.

    How can I redeem my voucher?

    You can redeem your voucher refund at any Woolworths or Coles store Australia-wide. The voucher is redeemable for cash or can be used for payment towards your shopping. It is not currently available for online purchases.

    If you make your returns at Kelmscott or Myaree, your voucher will be redeemable at Woolworths. If you make your returns at Joondalup, Belmont, or Osborne Park, your voucher will be redeemable at Coles.

    There is an issue claiming my refund, how do I chase this?

    You can contact our hotline on 1300 67 00 44 – our dedicated team of customer service professionals will work with you to ensure that your refund is recognised.

    Community Engagement

    Can my organisation apply to be a donation partner?

    If your organisation is a school, sporting club, charity, or a not-for-profit community group and you satisfy the eligibility criteria you can sign up for a Containers For Change Scheme ID. These can be used on Reverse Vending Machines at any TOMRA Recycling Centre across QLD.

    How can my organisation get involved?

    Organisations have a variety of ways they can get involved to help raise funds;

    • School, sporting club, charity, or a not-for-profit community groups can apply to become a donation partner on a Reverse Vending Machines at their local TOMRA Recycling Centres and receive donations from people using the machine who choose to donate.
    • For commercial volumes, including registered charities organising large bottle drives, please get in touch:

    To register your interest in becoming a donation partner please visit the Charity and Community page.

    How do donation partners get selected to feature on a Reverse Vending Machine?

    Donation partners are selected based on a first come, first serve basis for applications that fulfil the eligibility criteria.  You can find out more on our Charity and Community page.

    There are a variety of checks that are completed to ensure each applicant is eligible to become a donation partner. Local organisations must use the funds raised in their local area.

    How can I get my charity, school, club or community group raise funds with TOMRA Recycling Centres?

    Applicants who fulfil the donation partner criteria can apply to become a donation partner at their local depot on the Reverse Vending Machines.  It’s easy to apply:

    • Go to Charity and Community page to find out more.
    • Download and complete an application form and send this together with the supporting documents to
    • You will be advised of the status of your application as soon as possible.
    • If your application is successful you will receive a confirmation email with the dates of your partnership and a standard contract to sign and return.
    • Donation partners are rotated every 3-months to give as many not-for-profit organisations as possible the opportunity to fundraise through the scheme.

    Every charity, school, club or community group can raise funds collectively through a Containers for Change Scheme ID. Simply set this up and scan the unique barcode at the reverse vending machine and all refunds will go directly to your nominated bank account. You can search for any charity registered for support here.

    Eligibility criteria

    You can find the eligibility criteria for donation partners on the application forms on the Charity and Community page.

    Scheme Questions

    Why is a Container Refund Scheme being introduced?

    The WA Government has introduced a Container Refund Scheme (CRS) to reduce the amount of beverage container litter that enters our environment by providing an incentive for people to collect and return eligible containers for recycling in exchange for a refund payment. Flow-on benefits include business and employment opportunities as part of the operation of the scheme.

    Will the scheme affect the price of the beverages I buy?

    The beverage suppliers are charged a fee for producing the containers. This is to extend the responsibility of the litter issue to the producer, ie the manufacturers of a waste item are being held accountable to their waste products that currently make up 44% of the litter stream in WA. It is up to each supplier how much of this fee they choose to pass on to their customer – but not all of them pass all of it on. .

    Western Australia’s independent Economic Regulation Authority will monitor the prices of beverages sold in the state before and after the commencement of the container deposit scheme. This will ensure that any increased beverage costs attributed to the scheme reflect the actual costs of the scheme. For more information visit