Did you know you can donate your Return and Earn refund directly to a not-for-profit organisation? It’s easy. Simply return your containers at any TOMRA Reverse Vending Machine, select “Donate” and choose which organisation to help.
Apply to be a Donation Partner
Are you a charity, community organisation, school or sporting club and looking to fundraise? Apply to be featured on a Reverse Vending Machine (RVM), where anyone can donate their refunds. It’s easy to apply, there’s no cost and your organisation will receive 100% of the refund.
There are two types of donation partners:
- Major donation partner: state-wide or international not-for-profit organisation who will appear as a donation partner on Reverse Vending Machines across all NSW
- Local donation partner: local, not-for-profit organisation who will appear as a donation partner on Reverse Vending Machine(s) in their local town, suburb, municipality or similar region.
Donation partners are featured on the RVMs for 6 months at a time. This allows a wide range of not-for-profit organisations will be able to get a turn to fundraise through Return and Earn.
Applications can be sent throughout the year.
Find out more by downloading the eligibility criteria and application form from the link below.
- NSW Major Donation Partner Eligibility Criteria and Application Form
- NSW Local Donation Partner Eligibility Criteria and Application Form
Current Major Donation Partners
How to participate
Can my organisation apply to be a donation partner?
If your organisation is a school, sporting club, charity, or a not-for-profit community group and you satisfy the eligibility criteria you can apply to become a donation partner. Eligibility criteria is outlined on the application form which can be downloaded from the links above.
How do donation partners get selected to feature on a Reverse Vending Machine?
Donation partners are selected based on a first-come, first-serve basis for applications that fulfil the eligibility criteria. There are a variety of checks that are completed to ensure each applicant is eligible to become a donation partner. Local organisations must use the funds raised in their local area.
How can I get my charity, school, club or community group raise funds with Return and Earn?
Applicants who fulfill the donation partner criteria can apply to become a donation partner on their local Reverse Vending Machine(s). It’s easy to apply.
- Click on the links above to check the eligibility criteria and download your application form.
- Complete the application form and email it along with your supporting documents to email@example.com
- You will be advised of the status of your application as soon as possible.
- If your application is successful you will receive a confirmation email with the dates of your partnership and a standard contract to sign and return.
Donation partners are rotated every 3-months to give as many not-for-profit organisations as possible the opportunity to fundraise through the scheme.
How can my organisation get involved?
Organisations have a variety of ways they can get involved to help raise funds;
- School, sporting club, charity, or a not-for-profit community groups can apply to become a donation partner on a Reverse Vending Machines and receive donations from people using the machine who choose to donate.
- Organisations that have year-round contact with a large community of members (e.g. a school or sporting club) can become a local container collection point. Members of their community can then drop off and donate their eligible containers, equivalent to a 10-cent donation to the organisation.
- Smaller organisations, or those who have more sporadic contact with their community or membership base, may wish to run container collection drives at set times during the year. For example at a local fundraising event members and the wider community would be able to donate their eligible containers.
- You can register to be a donation partner on the myTOMRA App, allowing recyclers to donate to you at any Reverse Vending Machines across NSW. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the NEW Charity feature on the app?
This is an exciting new feature on the myTOMRA app. It allows you to donate your container refund to any fundraising campaigns listed on the app. To start donating, simply set a campaign as your active payout method so each time you return your containers, you can scan your myTOMRA app barcode, select TRANSFER and 100% of the refund will be donated to the charity or not-for-profit organisation. Overtime, the list of campaigns and causes you can contribute to will grow.
I use the app for digital payments [E-voucher / PayPal]. Can I continue to do that?
Absolutely! This is an additional feature, everything else remains the same on the app but we are providing extra ways to earn through Return and Earn.
How do I change my default payout method on the app?
In the middle of the home screen, you will see “Your active payout” which will either state “PayPal”, “Digital Voucher” or a campaign name. By clicking on this white box, you will open up a list of all payout methods available. Here you can select your default payout for all future payments until this is changed.
There are not many charities/campaigns listed. What do I do if I want to donate to a different charity, to a different cause?
This is a new feature on the app! Over time more and more charities and causes will be listed on the app for you to donate your container refund to. You can get in touch with the charity, not-for-profit organisation, school, sports club or community group you’d like to donate to and suggest they sign up! For more information, they can reach out to us at email@example.com.
Who can I donate my refund to via myTOMRA app?
You can use the myTOMRA app to donate to any charity, or not-for-profit organisations (ie. schools, sports clubs, community groups) listed on the myTOMRA app.
Can I donate to the charity partners as part of the “Bottles Can Change Lives” appeal via the myTOMRA app?
Yes! Beyond Blue, The Salvation Army and OzHarvest are all included on the app. Simply go to ‘Browse charities’ and search for the charity you’d like to donate to.
I want to donate to charity but it is not listed; what do I do?
You can get in touch with the charity, not-for-profit organisation, school, sports club or community group that you’d like to donate to and suggest they sign up! For more information, they can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I split my container refund into both donations & digital payouts? Do I need to donate all of my container refund to charity?
To do this, you would need to amend your default payout before the session where you want to make the split. . Set the default payout within the app before returning your containers eg. PayPal. Scan your barcode, return your containers and click TRANSFER. This will then transfer your refund to your PayPal account. Then, if you’d like to donate some of your containers to charity, open the app again, change the default payout to the campaign of your choice and repeat as above: Scan your barcode, return your containers and click TRANSFER. This will then transfer your refund to the charity/campaign you’re supporting.
How do I donate to charity through the myTOMRA app?
To get started, you need to select the fundraising campaign you would like to donate your refund to. To do this, go to “Charities” on the home screen of the myTOMRA app. Here you can browse the charities and campaigns that are listed within the app. Go to “Browse charities” on the righthand side and you can search, filter and sort by a variety of options to find the campaign you’d like to donate to. Once you have found the campaign you’d like to donate to, select “Set as payout” on the bottom of the campaign page. This will set the campaign as your default payout for all your future recycling sessions when you scan your myTOMRA barcode at an RVM. When you are at an RVM, scan your barcode, return your containers and click TRANSFER. This will then transfer your refund to the campaign of your selected.
Can I keep track of my donations?
Yes! In your app, select ‘Charities’ then go to ‘My Donations’ on the lefthand side to view a summary of all donations made. Scroll down to see each individual campaign you’ve donated to and how much you’ve contributed to each one of them. A record of your recycling history completed through the myTOMRA app can also be viewed on the Refunds page of your app. This will show both donations and any other returns paid out via the other available Payout methods.
How do I get a tax receipt / why did my tax receipt not print? Can I get a summary of all donations?
When you donate through the myTOMRA app, the RVM will not print a tax receipt. Instead, you can download a receipt of your refund from within the app, as well as a full summary of your donations. Go to the ‘Refunds’ page and select the ‘Export’ icon at the top of the page. Select the date range and a report/tax receipt will be sent to your nominated email address for all donations made to a charity that has obtained the DGR status with the Australian Tax Office
How often do the charities get paid?
After you recycle and donate through the myTOMRA app, your selected charity or not-for-profit group will receive their refund in approx. 7 days, directly into their bank account.
Will charities still be on the screens on the RVMs?
Yes! We will continue to feature charity partners on the RVM screens across NSW.