Return and Earn is the largest litter reduction initiative introduced in NSW – and it has collected over 2 Billion Containers in just 19 months.
Littering impacts all of us. It spoils our environment, costs millions of dollars to clean up, and is associated with anti-social behaviour. 160 million drink containers end up as litter in NSW per year. Return and Earn is reducing the number of drink containers in the litter stream – the NSW target of litter reduction is 40% by 2020.
We’re proudly delivering Return and Earn along with our joint venture partners – Cleanaway. We’re providing the Reverse Vending Machines (RVMs) that are used to collect eligible containers, and Cleanaway handles the collection and recycling of the containers. 100% of all containers collected through Return and Earn are recycled.
How to use a reverse vending machine
1. Insert your empty containers into the chute at the front of the reverse vending machine.
2. When you’re finished, select your preferred payout method on the screen:
Retail refund: Take a printed voucher from the machine for a cash refund or saving at participating retailers.
Digital refund: Download the myTOMRA app and link it to PayPal, to transfer the refund to your account.
E-Voucher refund: Download the myTOMRA app set it to E-Voucher – to claim your refund, take the E-voucher to a participating retailer for cash or a discount off your shopping.
Donate your refund: Choose the charity or community fundraiser to donate your refund to.
As you insert your containers, the reverse vending machine identifies the type of packaging and sorts the containers into different storage areas behind the machines, ready for pick up by Cleanaway.
*To increase the safety and wellbeing of our customers & team members during the COVID-19 pandemic, we are implementing a number of temporary changes at our TOMRA Recycling Centres in NSW and NT:
- We will be closing all of our Recycling Centres for 2 brief periods of 15 mins at 11am and 2.30pm each day – to allow for additional thorough cleaning of our facilities
- We will be restricting the total number of people allowed inside our Recycling Centres at any one time to ensure good social distancing can be maintained by all of our customers – and to comply with Government mandates that prohibit large gatherings
- We are introducing a new traffic flow system at all of our depots – together with clearly marked crosses for people to stand on whilst either using the machines or waiting to use the machines – again to ensure people can practice good social distancing
- We have enabled Touch Free Recycling by reducing the time-out function on our machines from 30 secs to 15 secs and signage at all Recycling Centres clearly explains how to take advantage of this
- We are temporarily suspending our bag drop service so that we can focus on providing the best possible Touch-Free Recycling experience through our reverse vending machine technology
If you have any further questions on this our friendly team will assist you in the Centre.