QLD – Containers For Change
TOMRA appointed as a container refund point operator
We are proud to announce that we will be a container refund point operator for the Queensland Container Exchange program (CoEx). This program is designed to reduce litter across Queensland by allowing customers to return their eligible drink containers for a 10c refund. To support the program, TOMRA is rolling out 10 state-of-the-art modern depots designed to handle exchanges of all sizes, from small-scale returns to large bulk deposits, and allowing customers to claim their refund in cash, vouchers or ePayment.
Each depot will be equipped with 9-12 TOMRA reverse vending machines, and many will also feature bag drop facilities and TOMRA’s Bulk Collection Systems to handle returns of large numbers of containers. The popular myTOMRA app will also provide opportunity for electronic payout of recycling refunds and details on depot locations and opening hours.
CoEx Start Date: 1 November
Eligible Containers: Single-use drink containers between 150ml – 3L – made out of glass, plastic, steel, aluminium or liquid paperboard – (see full details).
· Retail Voucher – redeemable for cash or discounts at the nominated retail partner
· ePayment – claim your refund quickly through your PayPal account
· Charity Donations – submit your refund directly towards a charitable cause
As part of the scheme, you can receive a refund for most aluminium, glass, plastic, steel and liquid paperboard beverage containers between 150ml and 3L. Do not crush your containers or remove the labels as the scanners will need to identify the shape, label and barcode to register your refund. After a period of transition, all eligible drink containers will have to display a refund marking that will make it easy to see which containers can be returned. This program targets containers that are likely to be consumed outside of the house.
A number of drink containers are not eligible for a refund under the scheme. These include:
· Plain milk containers
· Glass containers which have contained wine or pure spirits
· Large containers (1L or more) which have contained flavoured milk, pure juice, cask wine or cask water
· Cordial or vegetable juice containers
· Sachets above 250ml which have contained wine
· Registered health tonics.
Containers that are smaller than 150mL or bigger than 3L will not be eligible for a refund. The ineligible containers will still be able to be recycled through your local kerbside bins.
TOMRA Depot Locations
TOMRA will have 10 modern depots across the QLD region in the following areas:
· West End, Brisbane
· Seventeen Mile Rocks
· Varsity Lakes, Gold Coast
· Kunda Park, Sunshine Coast